Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Return of the PC

The old saying, "You don't know what you have until it's gone." applied to my PC over the past few weeks.  At my age, I think I do pretty good with the PC world (thanks to being introduced to it all when I worked) but have never and never will become a certified geek.  I admire my geekier family and friends, but, I'm of the group that just want it to work and let me go along happily into my own thing.

All that said, I got my PC back yesterday.  The original memory stick had failed and the repair was not too expensive.  He also cleaned it up.  It's like a new one - whooooohoooooo. 

I read numerous articles about how the world is becoming less connected and people are isolated because they don't interact in person with others because they have their nose in electronic devices.  OK, maybe someone but I find it is another means to stay connected.  I hear stories and see pictures of family and friends, research and learn.  It doesn't mean I've stopped anything - it is an added benefit. 

For instance, it helps me stay connected to grandchildren and their activities through Facebook.  Much of FB is just games and too much personal information, but, I do love that connection to grandchildren who live in other towns (well, everyone lives in another town when you live in the country...) and states.  I enjoy family Blogs and have relished seeing my nephew's family grow and involved from France back to the US.  In a world where family no longer live down the road, it's been great.

I love being able to chit chat with my children and families.  It's a visit even if we can't be there in person.  It's comfort and love even when the shoulder isn't in the same room. 

It also allows me to write my little blogs and stories and the next great American novel (OK, that's a stretch.)  I've made some gardening friends with these little blogs and enjoy knowing other gardeners in other parts of the world with other interests and perhaps just the same as mine.  It isn't taking away from my local friends or family, it's allowing me to have more.

Granted there are things I find offensive and some just plain stupid but looking at that is a choice and I choose to not be involved in those.  Sometimes the people who write the "PC, Internet, etc. are bad" articles forget everyone has a choice on how they use these devices and how much they use them.  Right from wrong is still the key as it is with everything in life.  End of this...
________________________________________________

I am in the middle of fighting Ameren pension administrators, Dynegy stock sale plan and my B/C-B/S company.  Apparently, they assume if you're over 65 you no longer matter, no longer fight, and no longer realize when you are being taken.  I hate getting my combat hat on but apparently I have no choice.
________________________________________________

This is the Biltmore House we visited in NC.  Largest privite home in the US.  Gardens were amazing - zillions of pictures.

Glad none of us had any damage with the high winds and tornadoes.  We got all our summer lawn things put away just in time.  Although it's still windy, it a beautiful day today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment