Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Weekend in Smallville


I've finalized our plans & reservations for our annual Christmas weekend to Chicago. We haven't done this since Jerry was sick and we're both looking forward to some fun. We've also not had a real vacation in several years and I'm trying to make sure we get to have a few get aways planned.


We're traveling by train which makes "leave the driving to us" a reality. Staying at the Burnham, our favorite "boutique" hotel right across the street from the old Marshall Fields IE. Macy's. After a relaxing Saturday afternoon, we will go to the Cadillac Theatre and see the musical "Young Frankenstein". I'm so a Mel Brooks fan. Then, we take in a late night dinner at Nick's Fish Market. Nick's sounds casual but it is fine dining and has been featured as one of "My favorite places to eat" by one of the Foot Network chefs. Let's hope.


We'll start Sunday with brunch at the Atwood, followed by Christmas shopping and catch the 5:30 p.m. train home.


A few years ago there was a huge snow the weekend we had reservations. Such a beautiful train ride and Chicago was beautiful and barely navigable. It was a Christmas card weekend.


Other events of this past weekend was Jerry picked Megan up at Chicago Midway so she could get to her bachelorette party. Since her plane arrived about 11 pm, it was a late night or early morning for him, but, he enjoyed the time to visit and catch up. A few hours to just talk is something that doesn't often happen when children grow up and get their own lives. Glad they got to take advantage of this opportunity.


We went to our cookout with Trinity Baptist friends at the McKirgan's home Sat. eve. I never go to a church pot luck I don't think of the old Saturday Night Live skit about "church lady." It's the one where this busy body is the self appointed critic of everyone else's food. The one she does on the poor young women who dares to bring jello is memorable. There is always a "church lady" at every church potluck I've ever attended. Since they had asked for only finger foods (we roasted hot dogs), I took little egg salad sandwiches and a apple spice bundt cake. All the sandwiches were gone and I sent the 3 pieces of cake to work with Jerry to his Indian friend who loves American sweet baked goods. Better him than me.


Trent has been sharing some of his books as I'm having reader's withdrawal. Read Koontz's "The Taking" in one evening. A good book in an odd way.


I started the painting of everything that needs a fresh coat yesterday. UGG - double UGG. I have the primer down on all the windows Jerry fixed and this and that bad spot here and there, etc. I had so hoped I'd never have to paint again! This morning I'll start laying on the final coat of things.


Jerry decided not to attend the Stearman show but we did get our own private show because many fly over the house when going home. We are on a flight pattern from one airport to another and often see medivacs, military and private planes. The Stearmans are so slow and so loud, we always have plenty of notice to stand and watch.


Got the dogs shampooed and their bedding washed. What a job! Dixie has to have special shampoo for the yeast on her skin, wait fifteen minutes and then shampoo with another. I use Dr. Brunner's on both - an all natural mint smelling shampoo that not only makes them smell better but repels bugs. Poor Harley had a seizure Friday evening. We had thought he might have outgrown them but suspect we've just not witnessed. They certainly take a toll on him. Immediately after the dogs were shampooed, they "needed" to run back into the bean fields - so much for clean. After hours of running and barking at mysterious critters, they were ready for a nap in the back yard (picture). I've always suspected the chemicals sprayed on the fields to be what trigger his seizures but will never know since the vets seem to think it's genetic. Since his blood sugar drops so drastically, I give him a little melted ice cream to bring him out of the seizure. Poor baby.


Have a good week. Mine will be busy and I'm making sure I enjoy the beautiful weather. Last week was one of the first times this summer I've had to water my flowers and pots. Some of my summer annuals in pots I've just given up on and replaced with mums.

No comments:

Post a Comment