Sunday, April 5, 2009

Art Therapy


As a Board member at Freedom House, women & children's domestic abuse shelter, I was a participant in the opening reception of the art therapy exhibit.


Art is used to help residents express their emotions. Several types were exhibited. One is wearing your feeling on your sleeve by putting images on a t-shirt. Another is making masks and the young children do drawings.


The emotions shown through these avenues are strong, frightening, and at times both sad and joyous. No matter how long I do this, I am still staggered by the extent of emotional damage that is inflicted within abusive relationships.


Freedom House is a blessing to these abused and lost women and children. They have a chance to make a "new" normal whereas many never get out or only get out through being killed.


The exhibit will be open at the Arts Center in Princeton for the next month. Even teens would benefit from this exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment