Sunday, November 1, 2009

AAAAAHHhhhhhhhh - CHOOOOooooooo


Here I sit with my bowl of broth, liquids, and tissues. Yes, I'm the proud infected of H1N1.


I had my seasonal flu shot weeks ago and I have the symptoms of the new little bugger. Symptoms can include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Yep, that about covers my week in the infirmary.


The germs stay viable 2-8 hours after deposit. Most common way they are deposited is by coughing and sneezing and the little droplets land on something (or someone). Although the infected should always cough and sneeze into a tissue and then throw it away (Or, like little Gracie has mastered: cough or sneeze into your elbow or arm), the way not to get it is never touch your eyes, nose or mouth unless you just did the "happy birthday" hand wash with soup and water. (Use the alcohol based wash if you can't access soup and water.)


The germs are killed by alcohol, soap or detergents, (use hot water), peroxide, chlorine, iodine and other germicides. They are used on surfaces not internally - I know my family is smart enough to already know that but anyway...


What do you do when you are sick - stay home and don't expose other people. (Like the lady who shows up to help set up the benefit - has all the symptoms - but, is sure she is needed so bad she comes, she touches, she infects.)


My doctor told me (previously) don't use any OTC medication that dries up the cold. It dries the membranes in the nose and throat and makes them more likely to get other more serious infections. I've taken Tylenol and that seems to be helping. LOTS of liquids. This not only flushes the system but staying hydrated is important during the flu. Plus, it helps sooth the throat. I've tried a cup of water heated in the micro - add a tbs. of honey and a tsp. of ground cinnamon & stir. It really helps a sore throat.


And, sleep - lots of sleep. Like most flu, it has times where I am almost well and then a hour later my eyes or whatever are killing me.


Anything with spices or much flavor seems to upset my stomach so broths, milk, juices, water, tea, and hot chocolate. Caffeinated drinks cause loss of fluids so trying to stay away from them. Toast and graham crackers. Perhaps a side benefit will be the loss of all my extra weight - I try to think positive during sickness.


You are infectious 1 day before getting sick to 5-7 days after showing symptoms and shouldn't join the world until 24 hours after the fever is gone.


For symptoms that require more than home treatment, go to the Center for Disease Control sight: www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/qa.htm

and

I hope you vaccinate your children, your family over 65 yrs. of age, and you when it's available. The children under 5 and people with health risks are most susceptible (as with all flu).
I first noticed this thriller last Monday so hoping it will leave soon although certainly hasn't happened yet today. I've missed a chance to keep Grace and all the little ones Halloween events. I hope Jerry doesn't get it and miss all the events next week or infect everyone that are coming to our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment