Image: From the Dale Chihuly "Argenta" series."Chicago, Chicago that toddling town" - Seriously, Frank, what the heck is toddling and isn't that a bad thing in a big city??? Or Toddlin' as some write the verse. For a song that has come to BE Chicago, no one seems to know for sure why it's called toddling.
Some say it means toddler as in it was a young city compared to the east coast big cities. Webster says it's someone who limps along. Others say it harks back to prohibition and the way people walked when they left speakeasies. One blogger went into how it was connected to "hanky" signals - good grief I hope my cold is better by this weekend or I may signal someone in white velvet and that means - well anyway it's confusing and apparently I just need to stay away from the Obama book coop.
It's suppose to be brutally cold and "blustery" (a word they use in Chicago for freeze your anything exposed off) and no snow. If it has to be that cold, I wish the snow would hit early. It's suppose to snow up there all next week. I had planned to take my new high heels, cute "theatre" dress, and now it's new insulated boots and a long skirt. Last time we were there, I was warm and young women were walking around town in 3.5 inch pointed high heel boots, mini skirts and minus two-zillion degrees wind chill. Aw, to be young, cute and freezing to death again.
There's a Dale Chihuly exhibit at the HABATAT Galleries Chicago but not sure we will have time. It's his Argento series which I haven't seen.
Saturday night we see "Young Frankenstein" the musical, and eat at the Blackbird Restaurant - both should be great.
The store windows and streets are now decorated with Christmas decorations and our hotel room is on the State street side. We can see the Macy's windows from our bay window. It used to be fun to watch all the Santa's come out in the evening and the street musicians play Christmas carols on the streets. That was banned about a year ago because some "high rollers" in the State Street penthouses complained. Can we say "Scrooge"??
A bit of shopping Sunday and then catch the 5:30 train home - so ready for our mini vacation.
No comments:
Post a Comment